Pages

Saturday, April 03, 2010

Staring At Another New Ceiling

When I awoke on 10 January last year, I awoke to a bunk full of strangers and an even stranger surrounding. I've just been robbed of my civilian freedom and thrust into the confined of National Service. More than a year later I awake to yet a different ceiling, a strange new surrounding, the same differences but a pleasant role reversal. This time the old camou uniforms have been swapped with snazzy pixelised ones adorned with ranks and badges, no longer stowed offshore but still at the fringes of civilisation and the lecturer whining about bunk layout is me.

How much yet little things have hanged since I lacked all that hair. Pity I did not pen down the whirlwind of events, though my comrades would agree that donning the uniform stifles personal thoughts. 2009 has seen me swap ranks from white to black to white again, before concluding with my long overdue stripes. Bouncing between combat and support side has given me ample insight into the organisation. To pick a highlight of the year, nothing tops the two shopping sprees in Taipei. Oh, right, and of course the invaluable friendships forged through the sheesha haze and earthquakes while balancing on the edge of a mountain. And there's this leech I can't quite shake off.

After one year down the rollercoaster, it had now become my turn to put others through the ride. Since my ride has lasted longer than most, my twists and turns are about to end. Not before one last big jolt apparently. Regardless, now I have a bunch of young lads to gear up and teach how go hold their stomachs through the upcoming loop de loop. I'm just hoping what I have to offer gives then a good ride instead of their lunch on their laps.

As for this blog, I have consulted with Rafahn and we have both agreed to get this act together. Sure there won't be exciting weekday skives to gleefully report about, but if life throws you a bunch of bullets, you throw a bucketload of mortar rounds back. So despite how dull life in service might be, I will dutifully pen them here in the most entertainingly exaggerated way that I can.

Once again I awake from my 7 hours of uninterrupted rest. The ceiling might be new, but it is one that I have come to place ownership upon. One that many after me will stare at, with apprehension then acceptance.

Welcome back to the army, commander.

No comments: