Pages

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Till death do us part... NOT

Just been to a funeral yesterday, I mean two days ago since it's 12am already. It was my great uncle, not really one that I know personally, but one I visit every year on Hari Raya anyway. Talk about abrupt. The last time I saw him was not more than a month ago on the first week of Hari Raya. Death really has no schedule.

It's amazing how much you know about a person despite meeting him/her a mere once a year. They say "till death do us part". Okay, it's a quote. You think that's true? Nah. From what I witnessed two days back, it's the exact opposite. I bet the poor guy's long forgotten best friend came to see him off. What irony, the dead draws more than the living.

I remember the same thing happening a few years back. It was somewhere in Malaysia, another distant relative died. At his funeral, relatives from all over South-east Asia came. None of them have seen him by any person's view of recent. From my childhood days I remember him saying, "You (my close relatives) won't be visiting me often. Only when I die, then you'll all come running to me". Rest well, you were right gramps.

For my late uncle, I know I won't miss him much. But no matter how much I disregard my (extended) family, I know they have some value. Like I know I'll miss the nasi dagang he cooks every Hari Raya. Damn, one less thing to look forward to. Nonetheless, his departing did have an impact on me. It just reminded me of how much regard I have for the dead. Therefore, to his memory, rest well. The living won't forget.

No comments: